Drugs and medicines play an essential role in the heath of a human body. Since people work for a living, it is very important to pay attention to health. However, most people pay small attention in the health over than work. People spend more time working and sometimes neglect to take some rest. This is because they focus on the money they earned. This can be good to not put the life of the family in a financial crisis situation. However, too much work can cause health disorders such as lack of sleep, anxiety, stress, and depression. The supplement is highly common to have a better sleep. If asked, is melatonin safe to take? It is a big YES, especially those suffering from sleep deprivation. This sleeping supplement becomes a norm today.
The pill is generally safe
In general, the body produces enough melatonin, as the body’s needs. But, a shred of evidence suggested that the supplement promotes sleep and is melatonin safe to use for short-term use. From the fact that the pill is a powerful drug, it is advised to take a doctor’s consultation. Good for the blind, melatonin can treat circadian rhythm sleep disorders. Eventually, it provides insomnia relief. Therefore, treat melatonin as a sleeping pill and use it under a doctor’s supervision. The safety and side effects of the supplement favor a patient taking the said pill. In fact, this pill generally safe if taken orally in an appropriate amount. If melatonin is orally taken more than the recommended dosage, it causes the following:
- A headache
Patients might experience less common side effects of melatonin. It includes the following:
- Abdominal cramps
- Abnormal low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Confusion or disorientation
- Mild anxiety
- Mild tremor
- Reduced alertness
- Short-lasting depression
This is because melatonin may cause daytime drowsiness. Also, patients should be aware that melatonin is not advisable to use to the people having an autoimmune disease.
The interactions of the pill
There are possible drug interactions of the supplement, here are the following:
- Antiplatelet and anticoagulants drugs, herbs and supplements
- These kinds of drugs, supplements, and herbs reduce blood clotting. With the combination of melatonin with these drugs, it might increase the danger of bleeding.
- Melatonin might impede the effects of anticonvulsants on children that are neurologically disabled.
- Blood pressure drugs
- Blood pressure might worsen with melatonin for patients taking medications for blood pressure.
- CNS depressants
- With the use of melatonin of this medication, it causes an addictive sedative effect.
- Diabetes medications
- Melatonin can affect sugar levels. This must be used cautiously if taking diabetes medications.
- Contraceptive drugs
- With the use of melatonin, it increases the effects and has possible melatonin side effects.
- Cytochrome P450 2C19 (CPY2C19) and Cytochrome P450 1A2 (CYP1A2) substrates
- If diazepam is taken, melatonin must be taken cautiously.
- Fluvoxamine (Luvox)
- This is a serotonin reuptake inhibitor. It can increase melatonin levels that causing unwanted immoderate drowsiness.
- It stimulates immune function. It can also interfere with the immunosuppressive therapy.
- Seizure threshold lowering drugs
- The increased risk of seizures occurs with melatonin.